Who We Are
LegaCare is a pioneering legal Charity based in the North East of England. Our aim is to provide peace of mind, dignity and quality of life to people diagnosed with cancer and other life threatening illnesses by the provision of free legal services to those in need.
To date, we have helped over 1000 people across the North East. We've helped with such issues as Guardianship of children, Relationship Matters, Employment, Housing and Mortgage issues, Debt, Insurance claims, Wills and Probate, Lasting Powers of Attorney and Deputyship.
We are contacted by telephone by the Client’s healthcare professional who is immediately referred to a solicitor.
- We take very brief details from the healthcare professional about the Client’s legal concerns.
- We arrange to meet the Client at a place convenient to them – hospital/hospice/home or our office.
- We discuss the Client’s legal concerns so that by the end of the meeting we have a plan detailing what steps we are going to take on their behalf.
- Every Client is assigned a solicitor and/or legal assistant as a point of contact.
- We undertake the necessary legal work on behalf of the Client until the matter(s) is concluded.
Fees – What does it cost?
The service is FREE to anybody who:
- is in receipt of state beneﬁts;
- earns less than £30,000 gross per annum, and/or
- has net liquid capital of £30,000 or less.
Clients not falling into any of the above categories may be invited to make a donation which reﬂects the complexity of work involved. This is discussed at the ﬁrst consultation which is free.
All donations are ploughed back into the Charity enabling us to continue to help Clients who would not otherwise be able to access our services because they simply cannot afford to pay legal fees.
Accessing the Service
At the moment, the service is only available to people living in the North East of England simply because we are a small team, and because seriously ill people need urgent assistance we do not want to let either them or healthcare professionals down. Therefore, our Clients (including relatives and carers):
- Generally, must be referred by the Client’s healthcare professional.
- The healthcare professional must be of the opinion the Client is suffering from cancer or other life limiting or life threatening illness OR the Client cares for somebody with a life limiting/life threatening illness.
- The Client MUST live in the North East.
What to expect from us
- An appointment with an experienced solicitor to be made as soon as reasonably possible.
- A dedicated Legal Assistant to be assigned to the Client as a point of contact.
- Professional, sensitive, conﬁdential help by a specialist team dedicated to resolving legal issues as quickly as possible to give the Client peace of mind and dignity at this critical time in their lives.